Sunday 27 November 2011

They Tuck You Up, by Adrian Mitchell

They tuck you up, your mum and dad
They read you Peter Rabbit, too.
They give you all the treats they had
And add some extra, just for you.

They were tucked up when they were small,
(Pink perfume, blue tobacco-smoke),
By those whose kiss healed any fall,
Whose laughter doubled any joke.

Man hands on happiness to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
So love your parents all you can
And have some cheerful kids yourself.

(This poem, a response to this one, obviously, was inspired by a broadcaster's attempt to avoid swearing before the watershed when mentioning this poem. It was released online before it was published in any collection, and there seem to be many versions floating round the internet. In any case, it rarely fails to bring tears to my eyes.)

2 comments:

  1. *sigh*

    I see a lot of anti child/parenthood about, especially in the Poly and Kink community, it is a bit depressing as I want to (after a 15 year break) sprog again fairly soon, I am not looking for a partner for that of course, but I don't really want to patch up with someone who would be against that either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I think that poly/kinky people are more likely to have analysed all their life decisions (hence choosing a very non-standard lifestyle), and therefore are more likely to reject ones that a lot of people drift into rather than consciously choose.

    I don't think that I could have any kind of meaningful relationship with someone who didn't at least like my child!

    ReplyDelete