Monday 5 August 2013

Quality time

Poly Means Many: There are many aspects of polyamory. Each month, the PMM bloggers will write about their views on one of them. Links to all posts can be found at www.polymeansmany.com. This month, our topic is "time".

I've written before about how precious my time with my boyfriend is. Things are different with my husband. We don't lack for time together, but having a child really doesn't leave much space for the sort of "couple time" we used to be able to have almost any time we wanted - the sort of quality time my boyfriend and I have scheduled into our calendar every week. It's fairly easy for my husband and I to get alone time with other people (he stays in, I go out for a date with my boyfriend; another night, and I'm the one at home) but together is not so easy.

Once we've all had dinner, and Small is asleep, there isn't much time left before one or both of us is ready for bed ourselves, and sometimes one of us has to use that time to work. Sitting down for a relaxed meal, just the two of us, is rare. Watching a film means staying up late and losing out on precious sleep. Going out alone together to find requires planning, and use of our extra-nuclear family as babysitters.

I notice similar differences in my daughter's relationships. She and I spend so much time together, most of it is pretty mundane: shopping, cooking, her playing beside me as I get housework or work emails done, bath-time. When she gets the chance to spend time with other adults, or her older cousins, she revels in the intensity of these short bursts of dedicated attention, and the novelty of the connection. After spending the whole day with her, I couldn't keep that up.

My boyfriend and I always have huge amounts to catch up on when we see each other. We keep making plans to watch a film, or even just an episode of something, but we usually have too much to talk about. We sit, eat a meal, hold hands over the table. It's quality time, and as we don't share a home or a domestic life, we're able to make that pretty much all we have.

But I sort of resist the idea that this more intense, focused time is somehow of better quality than the drip drip of domesticity. Just as I can't keep up the energy to play at full-intensity with my daughter all the time, as my boyfriend or other family does with her, they don't get to walk to the shops each time with a fun little girl who joins in when I sing a familiar song, who wants to point out the colours of the cars and who thinks that seeing a passing dog is as exciting as a trip to the zoo. They might miss the particular moment when she experiments with new words and sentences, and her language suddenly takes a leap forward. They don't get naptime snuggles, or rushing out to look for snails after the rain. These lovely, mundane moments are paid for by the weight of time we spend together. The quantity creates this particular quality.

My husband and I spend so much time together that there is rarely much build up of things we want to say. Although we talk all the time, our conversation is more relaxed, less urgent, maybe even optional. Sometimes, once Small is asleep, we find ourselves hitting a familiar rhythm without much negotiation: putting away the toys, loading up the washing machine, pyjamas, takeaway, slumping against each other on the sofa, watching another episode of something. It takes a lot of time together to create quality time like that.

10 comments:

  1. I love this. I feel like this is a constant point of contention about poly relationships; regular mundane vs irregular intense. It's an interesting one as well, because I've seen people on both sides claim that the other side is better, somehow indicative of more love or passion or closeness. You hit the nail on the head though; they are both good and wonderful in different ways. They both have pros and cons, and trading one for the other doesn't suddenly beget something special. They are just different ways of living.

    Awesome, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I think the domestic and the non-domestic time spent together creates different types of interaction and different relationships. I'm grateful we get to experience more than one at a time!

      Delete
  2. I'm sure personal preference must play into this, too. Beyond the initial giddy stages of the first months of 'OMG MUST IMPRESS NEW PERSON' it is absolutely essential to me that I get downtime with anyone I'm in a relationship with. Time pottering around, drinking tea, reading together, noodling around online, being connected in the same space but doing different things. That's not that I'm right and other people are wrong, just a personal preference - I don't think it would work for long if I ended up seeing someone who placed more value than I do on intense quality time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I value both sorts of time, but I don't feel I have much of a choice when/where I can access each kind. With a toddler at home, relaxed, pottering, book-reading time is a precious resource! My equivalent to that would be family time, and yes, it's important to me that anyone my husband or I are involved with spends time with all three of us during the day. That's probably not much like "downtime" to people without children, though!

      Delete
    2. Excellent post.
      Making sure I spend regular "domestic" pottering time with my non-resident partner as well as that intense 'date time' is vital to maintaining our relationship - just like making the effort to do something out of the ordinary with the partner that I live with helps make her feel special.
      Just like the relationships are unique so is the time spent on them

      Delete
    3. Yes, and I think like Allie suggested, it naturally happens that one relationship has a glut of one particular type of time together that another might be starved of. Keeping that balance can be tough, depending on your circumstances. The ideal balance for me is absolutely unattainable, so I work around what I have!

      Delete
  3. My favourite post so far, made me a touch damp-eyed! Miss you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I have been struggling for decades with monogamy and just heard the term polyamory for the first time last night. the context drew me on immediately and I've been doing research and watching videos and it resonates with me in a very profound way. whenever I called myself in love I always felt like something was still missing and pursuing that would be disastrous 100% of the time. This has been extremely frustrating. But the definition of poly seems to speak to what I felt and needed. Desired even. Sex is not nearly as important as a deep spiritual connection but I cant see that only being towards one person for ever and ever. I've always felt capable of sustaining an enduring connection with more than one person but I've never been allowed. As much as I want to be in a relationship I fear this discovery will open a new door to isolation and stress as I am actually going through a second divorce and at 36 don't have a core relationship to start with. But it feels so liberating to finally understand what I've been dealing with and I really hope to find polyamorists I can relate to. Thanks for listening....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I have been struggling for decades with monogamy and just heard the term polyamory for the first time last night. the context drew me on immediately and I've been doing research and watching videos and it resonates with me in a very profound way. whenever I called myself in love I always felt like something was still missing and pursuing that would be disastrous 100% of the time. This has been extremely frustrating. But the definition of poly seems to speak to what I felt and needed. Desired even. Sex is not nearly as important as a deep spiritual connection but I cant see that only being towards one person for ever and ever. I've always felt capable of sustaining an enduring connection with more than one person but I've never been allowed. As much as I want to be in a relationship I fear this discovery will open a new door to isolation and stress as I am actually going through a second divorce and at 36 don't have a core relationship to start with. But it feels so liberating to finally understand what I've been dealing with and I really hope to find polyamorists I can relate to. Thanks for listening....

    ReplyDelete